Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Youth reflect on their weekend trip to Parmelee


A beautiful little girl named Autumn has been the one person I can’t stop thinking about since our trip this last weekend to Parmelee. Autumn is the sweetest five year old girl who simply loves hugs and talking as much as she possibly can. Throughout the day we noticed that something was just not right with the Autumn we remembered. She was a little out of it, unable to make clear sentences, and her eyes kept crossing. It all became clear when we remembered her parents were not as loving as ours. Although we’re not positive, we think that Autumn had been given alcohol before she ran over to the Boys and Girls Club. It completely broke my heart to see such a beautiful girl in this situation. As we drove away on Sunday for home, the picture of Autumn and her brother, Hunter, still haunts me as they waved goodbye and blew kisses, probably wondering what they had done wrong to make us leave.

When I got home, to be completely honest, I was so upset with God. Why does he let this happen to her? I mean, can’t he change this situation? I wanted to shout where are You? Do You even care? And those questions are the ones that won’t stop running through my head. However, through all of this, I do believe that God is revealing himself through our own want for peace for these kids. Although I’m still not sure the answer to these questions, I believe that as God’s chosen people, we can overcome their parents harsh ways with kindness. I mean, aren’t we living in God’s plan!? And even though I want God to take more action in my beautiful Autumn's life, I remember that this is God’s plan and when the time is right, he will touch Autumn’s life and her community’s life in a way that we can’t imagine and a way that only God is capable of doing.


--Jami







A few people from the youth group, along with myself, took a short, eight hour road trip to Parmelee, South Dakota this past weekend; a place where most of us have fallen in love with. After going on the mission trip in July, we can’t seem to stay away. Our goal in going to Parmelee was to hang out with all of the children and continue to show them the love that we have. I know, the majority of us already want to go back, and can’t wait to plan the next trip.I have no idea what these kids have been through and I probably never will be given the chance to feel the pain they suffer. They are strong, stronger than I will ever be. I realized this while I was up there this summer, but it was definitely stressed more this last time I visited. While we were there it seemed as if there was a blizzard, fifty mile per hour winds, and ten degree weather. It was freezing, but okay, maybe not that cold. I have never been that cold in my life though. So, it was more like a few flurries, in the forties and just slightly windy. There are clear differences between the two cultures. The families in Parmelee are use to going without a heater or wood to warm their house. Children were outside in their shorts; they came without long pants, coats, gloves, hats, socks, you name it. I had a conversation with a fourteen year old boy named Daniel, about how over time, he has just gotten use to the temperature; your body doesn’t seem so cold after a while. We take so many little things for granted.

There was so much change that we saw within the trip. Dennis told us that he has never seen a community turn around the way Parmelee has. We personally saw some of the kids change in a positive way, but then others in ways where you could tell they were headed down the wrong path. It beats me up knowing they need a little love and guidance to help them out. We saw more parents picking the children up from the Boys' and Girls' Club, there were many more people attending the church service than the first time we were there, and the signs we hung during July, they were still graffiti free. It is so hard leaving the kids knowing they need us. They are strong, but they have to be that way to survive. They need love and we are able to give that gift to them so easily. I hope we can do everything possible to keep showing these children that there is hope. They don’t understand that they have helped me learn a lot about myself and they keep me strong.

--Maggie
































































































































































































































2 comments:

  1. What would be a good idea of something we could send on your trip before Xmas and where could we drop it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so pleased that you made this trip and proud that you are from Horizons. Someday I hope to go with you to Parmalee!

    ReplyDelete